Fun Facts About Omaha, Nebraska: A city with a rich history and some interesting facts that are worth exploring.
Did You Know…
… Omaha hosted the largest train robbery in U.S. history and has a street in the middle of the city that changes direction. Are you interested in creepy statues or giant red balls?
We have compiled a list of fascinating facts about Omaha Nebraska that you may not have known. Let’s dive in and explore what makes this Midwestern city unique!
- Omaha was once the site of the largest train robbery in U.S. history. In 1877, a group of robbers stole $2.5 million from a train carrying the payroll for the Union Pacific Railroad.
- Omaha has a street called Farnam Street that changes direction in the middle of the city. East of 40th Street, it runs east-west, but west of 40th Street, it runs north-south.
- There is a statue in Omaha called “The Spirit of Nebraska’s Wilderness,” which depicts a pioneer family struggling to survive in the wilderness. The statue is known for its creepy, lifelike appearance.
- Omaha was once home to the world’s largest indoor swimming pool, the Million Dollar Pool, which was located in the city’s downtown area. The pool was closed in 1978 and has since been demolished.
- Omaha is home to a statue of a giant red ball that is over 10 feet tall. The ball is known as the “Orbit” and is located in the city’s Gene Leahy Mall.
- The Omaha airport was once home to a branch of the Strategic Air Command, which housed nuclear weapons during the Cold War.
- There is a restaurant in Omaha called “The Drover,” which is known for its famous whiskey-marinated steak. The steak is so popular that the restaurant even sells a marinade kit so customers can make it at home.
- Omaha was once home to a notorious bootlegger named Tom Dennison, who ran a criminal empire in the city during the Prohibition era. Dennison was known for his corrupt political influence and his involvement in organized crime.
Additionally, whether you’re a history buff, a foodie, or an art enthusiast, Omaha has plenty of attractions that are sure to capture your interest. Omaha has something to offer everyone. Come explore and see for yourself what makes this city so special!