Monthly Home Maintenance Checklist
- Avoid piling snow against the house – the moisture could damage the siding and foundation.
- Periodically check the gas meter at the side of the house for snow and ice build-up.
- Keep your walkways safe by using ice melter.
- Periodically brush heavy snow off shrubs and evergreens to prevent damage.
- If you’re dreaming of sunny summer days, February is the ideal time to plan your garden, shop for accessories and get quotes on spring maintenance and renovation projects.
- Help your furnace do its job this month. Cleaning air registers, baseboard heaters and radiators regularly can boost the efficiency of your heating system by 10 per cent. Clean or replace the furnace filter every month. Seal air ducts with duct tape to increase the efficiency of your heating system (use metal duct tape, not the cloth kind.)
- Check periodically for indications of roof problems, which are often revealed in the winter months. Look for leaks in the attic. If your attic is finished, check the plaster for stains. Call a roofing expert immediately to assess the problem and prevent further damage.
- Have dead and diseased trees removed in the winter. The trees are dormant and there is less chance of disturbing nearby plantings.